Thursday, May 13, 2010
...I continued carving the plaster. Once I achieved the shape that I had envisioned, I began to prep it for mold making. First, I applied three layers of a mixture of shellac and denatured alcohol. Secondly, I found the center line where the mold would come apart. Then finally, I built a clay wall up to this center line. After these steps I poured the plaster in two stages and created my beautiful mold!
After waiting a few days for the plaster mold to dry, I cast a bowl from it. Unfortunately, I was unhappy with the shape and volume of the resulting bowl. It lacked the flowing curves and delicate edges I was hoping to achieve.
It is now time to go back to the drawing board!